Thursday, March 29, 2012

30

to be quite honest, i have waited my whole life to be 30. i just always knew that it would be the decade of my life where i finally felt like i truly belonged. my twenties were fun, just enough wild, just enough torment, but thirty...just seemed so settled. and that is actually what i have always wanted. boring and ordinary yet utterly delightful? yes please.



the only moment where i felt a twinge of sadness to be turning thirty, was on march 12th at 11:50 p.m., the last few moments before my birthday officially arrived. ryan and i were just about to drift off and i realized with a shock that once i fell asleep, i was closing the door to my twenties forever. it felt so final. and those were some good years. real good years.



in those years, i finally became confident and assured. i learned to cook things other than pasta. i made new friends and relished in the old ones. i realized that there is no place better than home. i found that when i am due for a change in scenery, napa, the beach, yosemite and disneyland will all feed my soul. i stopped feeling the need to apologize for who i am. i discovered that sisters are like secret, golden treasures. i learned that a good walk will make you feel a lot better. i learned that it's best not to try to fool yourself. i discovered red wine and digital cameras. i found out what incredible parents i have and accepted, finally, that they are always right. i learned that you can't ignore jury summons and taxes. i discovered that it is wise to check your pockets before doing laundry. i learned that holding a grudge is exhausting. i learned to pay to attention to what is important and ignore the rest. i lived on the belief that creating a good moment or memory is worth whatever it costs. i became a bit more hopeful. i became a lot more grateful. and lastly, in those years, i fell in love. and became a wife and a mother. the two things i am most proud of.



it's been a good decade.



but something tells me this next one, is poised to be great. grand, even. i still have so much to do. so much to figure out. and still, its all right in front of me.



so i celebrated.




girls' lunch with our baby boys. it was delicious and fun and different than any other birthday lunch we have done before: this time we had two babes in high chairs. nuts.

the parentals and sisters helped me celebrate with a little dinner at casa de awesome. daddy's tri tip, strawberry shortcake, mama's salad and garlic bread - all of my favorites. and of course, mama decorated. she always gets daffodils for my birthday...i love that.

special, like REALLY special wine and party hats for all. and i get really excited for gifts like gravy boats. how did she know i needed one?
sister cousin lunch at my favorite: taqueria. mmmmmmmmmm.
a dinner party at the in-laws! pops' porterhouse steaks, more special wine and CUPCAKES galore! it was such a fun night... especially loved my birthday balloon :)
my actual birthday was pretty dreamy. me and finn. i read each one of the thirty things my parents love about me. i think i was supposed to read one every once in awhile. but i couldn't resist. who could!?
finn made me a cake. the frosting was delicious, the cake....not so much.
it was a pretty cake, but i think he over cooked it. it tasted like well-done cornbread. oh well, its the thought that counts.
it rained on my birthday! how did i get so lucky? we spent a lot of time watching it.
around twelve, there was a knock on the door. i found a little lady and this beautiful bouquet, sent from my mister.
finn and i hit up target. i don't need to explain how fun that is for me.
ryan got home early and gave me this little gem. it says "amour". swooooooon.
and then......DATE NIGHT! tante rachel came to sit and ryan took me out on our first date since finn was born. it was thrilling. and slow. i love slow dining. and the lemon drop tasted as good as it looks.
we went to scott's on the river. and we savored every minute. we enjoyed calamari, salad, soup, fish, cioppino, a glass of rombauer chard (!), and dessert.... it was like heaven.
ryan told me to blow out my candle and make a wish...
but what he didn't realize is that i already have everything i have ever wanted.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails