Wednesday, October 13, 2010

grocer glamour



I have driven by this place many a time and always wondered about it...well, let's just say I should have stopped in about nine years ago, because our love affair would have begun then.


Dear old Corti Brothers, founded in 1947 is a local delight and is now less than two miles from our new casa...it is heavenly and inspiring. Picture a family owned, old world Whole Foods...



Old fashioned grocery carts and these fabulous metal sculptures greet you...I personally, would love to have that giant whisk hung in my kitchen.




Corti Brothers focuses on specialty, locally grown and international foods, mainly, European and Italian delights. I could spend days perusing the aisles, dreaming of meals I have yet to learn to make. The clientele is also dreamy...lots of women who like the French do, or like my mama often does: shop daily, locally owned and seasonally. Its brilliant really. Ask Ina.


You can't find tomatoes like these beauties at Safeway...cracked and blemished on the outside but purely delectable inside.



And the cheese...oh the cheese. My heart beats for cheese. And for Mr. Kelly, of course.




Corti Brothers has a sommelier on staff, with fancy European wines (my rule is look don't touch), sodies and brews that you can buy by the bottle. Perfect for experimenting and finding new favorites...




And imported pastas. Every shape, color, and flavor available. My mouth just began watering as I typed that.




Art, food phrases and magazines for foodies are at every turn...





And the meat...it is fresh, pink and expensive. But is gorgeous. Is that an appropriate adjective to use in regards to meat?




But it is the bread that really knocked my socks off...Acme and Sciambra breads can be found here! It screams of all the wonderful breads I grew up with and I was so thrilled to see that familiar wrapping upon my first visit that I gasped out loud. Of course, on this visit all the Sciambra and Acme was sold out. Because it's THE BEST.



Oh...and CLOVER dairy! The milk just tastes better...I swear it does.




In short, I adore Corti Brothers. Not the kind of place that you would go to for flour and laundry detergent, unless money grows on your backyard trees, but perfect for special items for special guests...or perhaps a special meal to make an ordinary day...extraordinary.







1 comment:

  1. That store looks wonderful! Eh, no need to touch the European wines, look where you're from! That cheese makes me hungry just from the sight of it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails