Saturday, August 7, 2010

Let there be cake. And not just for birthdays.


Today I decided to bake my first "from scratch" cake in preparation for Mr. Kelly's impending birthday.

Ok, his birthday isn't actually until December but it is Saturday and I love to bake on Saturdays.

So I chose the chocolate cake recipe my mama always uses and when I called her with a question (I usually call her with several), she laughed and informed me that Brandy called her for this very recipe two days ago...I think that means we are soul sisters or something.

Beatty's Chocolate cake is the title...




I should first disclose that my decision to attempt this cake may or may not have had something to do with this movie and this ruffled cake stand, which my Tante's gifted me for my last birthday and which I had yet to use...isn't it darling?



So it begins...down to business.




This is the part where I sample, you know, just to ensure it is still edible. It was.




It looks like it is
working...



I was proud that I did the toothpick test eight minutes early. Something just told me it was done. The smell, the look, I don't know. But I do know that I have been waiting for this type of intuition to arrive, and it is, slowly but surely. There is hope after all.


My mama taught me to clean as I go and I am a very obedient girl. Sometimes I clean with my finger, sometimes with soap. It just depends on my mood.



The frosting was more complicated. Sifting, double-boiling, blah, blah, blah. This part required a cold one.



This part, however, just required a cold glass of milk.


I am happy to announce that the frosting was like the most delicious velvet and the cake was quite moist, if I may be honest. And Ina was right, the coffee in the cake most certainly does add "depth of flavor". I now know exactly what she means by that statement. Before, I had no clue. Depth of flavor? What the...?

I get it now, Ina. And you are brilliant.

Feels good to have a classic staple, like a chocolate cake, under my belt.

Bring on the birthdays. This girl is ready.

4 comments:

  1. Looks divine! Making mine today for Angelo's birthday cake, but with the coconut frosting... German style!!!! Thanks for the inspiration and to your mama for the dee-lish recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cake plate is to die for! There's something about cake plates, I could have a million. That cake looks decadent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want some!!!!!! Maybe for my birthday you will bake my cake this year????

    ReplyDelete
  4. B-Well? How was it?? I am sure it was devine-I am crazy for the coconut frosting, but alas, my man is not :( And yes, A-I would be happy to make this for your birthday! I too, am obsessed with cake plates, Kristen - they are soooo girly and pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails