Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Hero


Under normal, happy circumstances, we take photographs to capture those moments that made us laugh, that freeze a look, an instant, a milestone.

But on this day, with great sadness, I took photographs to remember Chase Stanley. A soldier fallen. A son gone. A friend lost.




I didn't know Chase well. But my sister did. I simply remember his shy eyes, ginormous smile, and the way his suit matched my sister's prom dress. I remember watching his dear mom fuss over his lapel with such a look of pride on her face. I can remember thinking how evident her love for him was, while pondering the love mothers have for their sons. And now, he is gone.



I wish there was something that I could do for this family. Something that would help fill the big, dark hole that will inevitably be empty forever. But I know there is only one thing I can do...

I vow to remember that freedom is not free, and that the cost is great. I vow to pause and to be grateful.

I vow to always remember Chase.

That kind boy with those shy eyes who grew up and became a hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails